Tasman Leader : September 18th 2014
THURSDAY, SEPTEMBER 18, 2014 6213176AH OPENING in 22 DAYS I M P R E S S I O N S A R T A W A R D S www.acn.org.nz YOU’RE INVITED! 10TH October Police hear complaints By STACEY KNOTT Motueka people frustrated with policing in their area are being urged to complain directly to the source. Since the Leader reported on policing in Motueka a week ago, Motueka Community Board chair- man Paul Hawkes said he had had many people telling him they agreed changes were needed. Motueka people said they were frustrated at police numbers in the area, and that police were called to jobs outside of Motueka. They said response times were too slow, or police did not come at all. Paul said he had had a lot of feedback through the week from people saying they had similar problems. He urged anyone who had problems with policing in the area to put in an official compliant. ‘‘The more people that make the noise, the quicker it will be solved.’’ He said there was not a resource issue in Motueka, but there was an issue with people being on duty there being sent to cover other areas. He said he knew police had to prioritise, but he had heard too many stories from frustrated residents. He said the area may be manned 24/7, ‘‘the man might be on duty, but you have him positioned in Brightwater, Wakefield or in Murchison or Nel- son to cover short staffing’’. Paul and the rest of the com- munity board are to meet with police and concerned locals pri- vately next week. Nelson Bays area commander Inspector Steve Greally said Motueka police operated under the prevention first model, which included using mobility devices so officers could do the bulk of their work away from a police station. He said calls were prioritised but when an offence was taking place and an offender was believed to be still on the premises the incident would be treated as a priority one (P1) event and officers would be directed to attend immediately. They would be expected to attend within 10 minutes. ‘‘If someone is reporting the dis- covery of a theft or burglary that is historic it does not require a P1 response and will receive a response appropriate to the indi- vidual circumstances, which may include a visit from police and a scene examination. ‘‘Some events reported to police do not require any attendance and can be dealt with entirely via the crime reporting line. This model enables us to have staff available to respond when they are really needed.’’ Since a restructure of police resources in Motueka in 2013, Steve said there had been a 17 per cent decrease in crime in the town. Since July this year, it recorded a 14 per cent reduction in calls for service. ‘‘The Motueka area accounts for only 13 per cent of all calls for service to police in the Nelson Bays Area. The majority of the other 87 per cent of calls come from Nelson City, Stoke and Rich- mond.’’ Steve said he welcomed calls from the public about any issues. Women pass fire fun day test Newest recruits: They may have been press-ganged into competing and pressed into overalls four sizes too large, but the women’s team at the Rural Fire Fun Day had a blast and gave the men a good run for their money. Here, the women’s team of, from left, Shayna Treanor, Hayley Wilson, Sandra Perry and Mary-Anne Baker, along with male support, run out a hose during the day which saw about members of rural fire forces from around the region competing at the Ngatimoti Domain. For the story and more photos, see page 18.
September 11th 2014